- Performance artist
- Works on the capabilities of the human body
- ‘Ear on Arm’ (2008-on going) is a piece that involved Stelarc growing a mini ear from the cells of his own ear and surgically placing it into his arm. He then put an audio device in it so it could hear like a real ear and be played on the net.
- I think this piece is extraordinary and really pushes the idea of ‘transhumanism’.
- There are quite a few contemporary artists working on pushing what it means to be human and how we can adjust this, but I feel like this is one of the best.
- Post humanism doesn’t neciserrily mean moving from being human to being robots, it’s more about improving the human body through science and prosthetics.
- This poses the question of things like test tube babies, have they moved past the phase of being human? The possibly of the human race sort of evolving through their own choice and modifications is something I find interesting.