- Sculpture artist
- Uses his own blood to create frozen sculptures of his head (around 10 pints per head)
- On going piece starting in 1991
- “self” (1991- present) http://marcquinn.com/artworks/self
- The piece was designed to keep himself centered whilst he was working through alcoholism, similar to Franko-B he was using it as a cleanse, both literally and conceptually.
- Whilst researching Quinn, I thought that maybe the use of pushing the body to the edge began to lost some of its meaning entering the last 30ish years. Originally pushing the body to its limits was designed to make a statement on an issue to force people to look at it.
- However, in more recent uses of body art, its been more about creating a spectical and the aesthetics, could this make the concept of pushing the body to the edge redundant if it doesn’t have this shock factor? People are desensitized.